Asphalt roof shingles are designed to be durable and long-lasting, but they are not immune to the forces of nature. One of the most significant threats to these shingles is wind damage. Understanding the potential impact of wind on your roof can help you take preventive measures and address any issues promptly.
The Uneven Force of Wind on Roofs
Wind doesn’t strike a roof uniformly. Certain areas, especially the perimeter and any previously loose shingles, are more susceptible to damage. The severity of the damage often depends on factors such as wind speed and the age of the roof. Apart from the wind itself, falling objects and airborne debris can also harm your shingles.
How Wind Speed Correlates with Roof Damage
The potential damage to your roof escalates with the intensity of the wind:
- 45-55 mph: Expect broken tree limbs and the possibility of loose shingles being blown off.
- 55-75 mph: Smaller trees might be torn down, and even sturdy shingles can get ripped off.
- 75-90 mph: Large trees can be blown over or uprooted, and structural damage to the roof becomes a real possibility.
- 90+ mph: At these speeds, significant roof damage is almost a certainty.
Identifying Wind Damage on Your Asphalt Roof
Post-storm, it’s crucial to inspect your roof for signs of wind damage. Here are some indicators to watch out for:
- Missing shingles
- Loss of granules from the shingles
- Shingles that are curling or peeling
- Water leakage inside your home
- Debris scattered in your yard or surrounding areas
- Dents or divots on the edges of your shingles
- Chimneys that appear cracked or misaligned
Proactive Measures Against Wind Damage
Prevention is always better than cure. Here are some steps you can take to safeguard your roof against wind damage:
- Tighten Loose Shingles: If you’re expecting a storm, ensure that any loose shingles are secured.
- Tree Maintenance: Regularly trim the trees closest to your home to prevent branches from falling onto your roof.
- Routine Roof Inspection: Before storm season, visually inspect your roof for debris, ensure gutters aren’t clogged, and check for blocked drains.
Trust The Roofing Center for Your Roofing Needs
If you suspect wind damage to your roof, it’s imperative to consult professionals. At The Roofing Center, we pride ourselves on our expertise and commitment to quality. Whether you need an inspection, repair, or even a complete replacement, our team is here to assist. As a leading roofing service in Salt Lake City, we understand the unique challenges posed by the local climate and are equipped to address them effectively.
For residents of Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas, The Roofing Center is your trusted partner for all roofing concerns. Don’t wait for minor damage to escalate; reach out to us today for a comprehensive assessment and solution.